Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Biking in Tampa















This sign is on Bruce B. Downs Boulevard in Tampa, directed at southbound bikers in the northbound lane.

I often ride Bruce B. Downs on my bike. Northbound, there is a bike lane the whole way. There is also a sidewalk that goes from narrow and bumpy, to a gap consisting of a dirt path, to wide and smooth. Once you get to the wide sidewalk, you have two good options for bike riding.

Traveling southbound is the problem. Riding on the wide sidewalk, you have three options when you come to the dirt path: 1) ride the path and maybe fall off if you're on a road bike; 2) cross six busy lanes of traffic to get to the southbound bike lane; or 3) ride the wrong way in the northbound bike lane just long enough to get to the narrow, bumpy sidewalk. I always choose option 3. I only need to ride the wrong way for a minute, then the crappy sidewalk for another minute, to get to my street. And apparently lots of other bikers make the same choice, because someone thought it necessary to put this sign up.

My problem is not that the authorities are imperfect in ensuring safety for bicyclists. My problem is that they're spending my tax money to put up signage that illustrates a problem but does nothing to fix it!

Opt out of: Driving everywhere just because it's easy or because bicycling is still unusual in your community.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

They probably just put it up because someone got hit on a bike and therefore the county isn't liable anymore if it happens again. Still, just a waste of money.

Anonymous said...

There are lots of places around town where you can go one direction, but have no option for going back the other direction.

But, I have ALMOST gotten hit by a car enough times even going from my apartment to school that now, I just drive everywhere. So I can see the county trying to assure that they're not liable, though I would prefer it if they taught drivers how to share the road with bikers rather than make ridiculous signs.