Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Ways in Which Real Life is Like a Dystopian Science Fiction Novel, Part 2 of Infinity



Your Department of Homeland Security has developed mobile security gateways housed in tractor-trailers that deploy to public events to "establish or supplement security facilities at points of entry." Sensors inside the gateways scan individuals for "behavioral and physiological indications or malintent--or, the intent or desire to cause harm." Someone who plans to blow people up may tend to show certain behavioral traits, say fidgeting, or physiological traits, say an elevated pulse. These sensors would monitor such things. Of course, if you just happen to be nervous, say because you're surrounded by scary cops, dogs, guns, and probes--or you're a petty drug dealer--or you're late on your mortgage payments--and you set off the sensors, that's not a problem! Just step through the door for your interrogation and search, and if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

This is NOT designed to detect weapons. It is NOT designed to verify your identity. Large facilities already have security in place for that sort of thing. This is new. The video says in the very first sentence: "Physiological and behavioral screening technologies." The government intends to READ YOUR MIND.

I'm sure most people will breeze through these things with no problems. They might even think it's kind of neat. But the thing is, I'm worried about getting through them myself. Because when I find myself surrounded by physical reality of the police state, when I realize that we are slaves paying the cost of our own slavery, I get very angry. I've always mustered my best poker face in that kind of situation. What am I to do now? How can I hide my ill-will toward my government when they can read my very thoughts?

No comments: